Nakilat receives DSME’s fourth new LNG carrier

The Qatar-based shipping company Nakilat has took delivery of Global Sealine, a new liquefied natural gas (LNG) carrier, from South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME).

Nakilat Shipping Qatar Limited (NSQL) will be responsible for the commercial and technical management of this vessel.

The new construction will be chartered to Cheniere Marketing International.

Global Sealine is the latest newbuild LNG carrier to be delivered to Global Shipping, a joint venture (JV) of Nakilat and Maran Ventures.

Nakilat holds a 60% stake in the JV while Greek shipping company Maran owns the remaining 40%.

In May 2020, Nakilat received the first LNG carrier, Global Energy, from DSME.

Nakilat took delivery of the second LNG carrier, christened Global Star, last January.

The third LNG carrier, Global Sea Spirit, was received by Makilat last October.

With a carrying capacity of 174,000 m³, Global Sealine is the second vessel with an X-DF propulsion system to join the Nakilat fleet.

Nakilat CEO Eng Abdullah Al Sulaiti said: “Adding this vessel to our fleet enables the company to provide greater operational flexibility to our charterers as the X-DF engine propulsion has proven to be more fuel efficient and more environmentally friendly due to lower carbon emissions.

“In addition, the vessel has a significantly lower gas boil-off rate, is equipped with on-board reliquefaction units and complies with all mandatory international and national environmental protection regulations.”

Following this delivery, Nakilat’s fleet comprises 74 ships.

NSQL currently manages and operates 25 LNG carriers, four LPG carriers and one Floating Regasification Storage Unit (FSRU) vessel.

Related companies