Prosecutors say no case has been brought after counselor’s assault complaint

Councilwoman Victoria Seaman filed a police report alleging assault by her colleague Michele Fiore six months after city investigators said the statute of limitations expired, but there are conflicting reports as to whether the investigation The city’s criminal case has already been sent to prosecutors, according to new records.

Seaman claims Fiore attacked her on January 11, 2021, after an audit committee meeting, snapping her finger and throwing her to the ground by her hair, Sailor’s Trial and interviews show.

The city destroyed video of the incident despite a request from the Las Vegas Review-Journal, records show. The city released a report last week claiming that Seaman and Fiore had a fight, but the report acknowledged that the city did not provide the video despite repeated statements by the newspaper requests.

On Sept. 13, the Las Vegas Marshal’s Office promised to send a criminal investigation report to the Clark County District Attorney, but that apparently didn’t happen, according to new documents obtained under the Criminal Investigations Act. the open state archives.

Deputy Chief Kyle Ward “spoke with Assistant DA Robert Daskas,” Lt. Mark McCoy wrote to Detective Brian Goldyn. “He will have one of his chief reviewers review your report. Please email the full report to DC Ward and me. DC will send it…so it can be reviewed.

The text messages also indicate that the report was directed to the district attorney’s office, but Assistant District Attorney Christopher Lalli told the Review-Journal that the report never arrived.

“No cases have been submitted,” Lalli wrote in an email Monday after the Review-Journal showed him a copy of the messages. “No cases have been submitted to our Office.”

Lack of transparency

Ward, reached on his phone, declined to comment, and city spokesman Jace Radke also did not explain. A secretary with the city’s Department of Public Safety would not connect the Review-Journal to Chief Jason Potts, and he did not respond to an email request for comment. McCoy and Goldyn did not return calls or emails.

Seaman said the city’s investigation was part of the incident’s ongoing cover-up.

“There’s a lack of transparency, and it’s all a cover-up to protect (Las Vegas city attorney) Bryan Scott,” she said Tuesday. “It’s been very difficult, but I’m not going to stop and I will continue the trial so that people in the future never have to deal with this.”

According to the city report, Scott did not provide the video to the Review-Journal and allowed it to be rewritten when Fiore and Seaman said they did not want a copy. A copy on a USB stick was also deleted.

Fiore did not respond to a request for comment. Scott declined to comment through a spokesperson.

Close the deal

The documents appear to show that city investigators intended to close the case instead of conducting a full investigation.

Our “report which is already outside the one-year time limit for prosecution, and there is no evidence or witnesses to support anything except to close the case,” texted the chief, according to records provided by the city.

Seaman said she, her staff and other witnesses were never interviewed in the case. She said she submitted a statement in July which appears to be the basis of Goldyn’s investigation report.

Simple Battery has a one-year statute of limitations, so the report, completed in July, would have been outside of that window. But Seaman said the fact that she had to have surgery to fix her broken finger makes the case a felony with a two-year statute of limitations.

She said she couldn’t find any agency to properly investigate and prosecute the case.

Las Vegas police told him the marshal’s office needed to investigate the matter because it happened on city property. She said the FBI told her the agency would come back with her, but never did. And attempts to have Attorney General Aaron Ford investigate came to nothing, as Seaman said Ford and Scott were friends.

“There’s a lot of politics involved here,” she said.

Staff from the FBI and attorney general’s offices declined to comment.

Contact Arthur Kane at [email protected] and follow @ArthurMKane on Twitter. Kane is a member of the Review-Journal’s investigative team, focusing on reports that hold executives and agencies accountable and expose wrongdoing.